Of Piping and Seat Cushions

Today I'm gearing up to make my friend's seat cushion. She has an adorable small-scale wicker seat that has followed her travels. Its current iteration is in black. Now she just needs a fun cushion to match the dynamic colors of her room.

I've got my pattern, as you can see from the photo. I simply placed some heavy duty trace in the chair and outlined the shape of the seat. As a rule of thumb (for any of you emboldened to attempt this yourself after reading this), after tracing the entire seat base (or cushion, if there was one), fold the paper in half and then create a secondary outline that's a happy marriage of both sides. Having a symmetrical piece is more pleasing to the eye, easier to work with and finishes much more nicely.

First, I'll need to get the foam cut to the right shape. Then I'll move on to cutting the fabric and creating the piping. I'll post new pictures as I progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment