My New Creative Center On A Budget

If you are like me, you have the plans of a king but the pocket book of a pauper. So many fantastic, thoughtful, creative ideas and inspirations, so little money....{sigh}

So I found myself scavenging from what I already had around. At first I was a little unsure of my success potential. After all, as a designer I want a space that would make the most seasoned designer/crafter snarl in envy. In the end I needed to re-establish my entire work area after giving away my key piece. But I needed to replace my dear old white table spending little or no money. So, the key to success, in my mind, was figuring out how to jimmy a new work surface (that would never quite compete with Old White).

I'd resigned myself to the idea that I'd need to paint a piece of plywood and mount it to some wire cube cubbies. Less than ideal, but it'd get the job done. I certainly wouldn't be making Martha Stewart jealous by a long shot. As I sifted through our garage (we just moved six months ago) I glanced briefly to my right and felt my heart soar. Off on the other side of the garage, tucked away in the corner stood my grandfather's drafting table.

So many wonderful works of art came from that table. My grandfather was a natural artist, his first "job" at ten was painting signs for local shop owners during the Depression to earn money for the family. He studied graphic design, but ultimately landed at the FBI (yes, you read that right) as a sketch artist. The work he produced over the course of his life enthralled me. When he passed, I cried when my grandmother told me of her intention to gift his work table and tools to me. I think, my friends, Old White has been sufficiently replaced...

As I brought Grandpa's table out to our sun room, I spied an old small chandelier that had been rescued from an abandoned apartment. "Surely there's a way I can work this into my space?..."

A little cleaning, a little clearing of toys (as I'll now be sharing space with the kiddos in what we've up 'til now been referring to as the play room) and I'm starting to feel good about how it's coming together.

Here's what I've got so far, and I'll hopefully be able to finish pulling it together tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment