This Week's Retrospsective...


It's day two of organizing my creative area. As I clean, tidy, sift, organize and purge I find myself acknowledging that I'll likely have very few photo-worthy moments to 'blog' about. I have also been clear-minded enough to acknowledge that having something new to talk about every day will, at times (even for a talker like me), prove to be difficult or overwhelming. My all-powerful effective solution to this potential 'problem'? I can do retrospectives! I have a ton of projects that I've done over my past two to three years off the grid (I did, after all, start this blog in, what, 2008?.... yikes...). They are projects I am deeply pleased with, to a point where I surprised myself. And I definitely would like to get them 'out there', so to speak. So, as I organize my tangible creative space I realize I can also organize my virtual creative space: weekly 'retrospectives' where I post photos of projects past. Not sure exactly what I'll say, as I tend to enjoy going with the flow of my thoughts. But a certain semblance of organization in thought conveyance is always nice, wouldn't you say? And more importantly I end up killing two or three birds with one stone, to coin a cliche... 

So, with that rambling preface, I would love to post about a very recent stream of bags I crocheted over the winter break. I first came across the bag on a web-site that is one of my guilty pleasures: Ravelry. So many creative people making beautiful things out of long colorful strands of you-name-it. I could get lost there for hours... {slobber}. But I digress. I came across the Sunflower Satchel, designed by Asami Kawa and fell instantly in love. I just HAD to try making that bag. I am ashamed to confess that, since we are one of those American families that has been particularly beaten up by all the economic downturn stuff that's gone on over the years, footing even a few dollars for something like a crochet pattern was just not in the realm of possibilities. Nor was the idea of paying $11 per skein for the particular yarn that was spec'd out of the pattern. Both shames in their own right because, as an artist, I never want to be one to deny someone their own means of survival by not giving them proper dues for their creation (especially when those 'proper dues' translate into $$$). Just the same, I have to confess that, rather than buy the pattern, I studied the pictures and devised my own pattern for the bag. So, mine is NOT the same bag pattern, but it is closely inspired. One day, when we're in a better spot I will do right by Kawa and buy the pattern. Until then, I'll just point as many people as possible to her pattern. 

Back to the bags. If you've been following me, you'll know I already have a gigantic yarn stash. Well, it might be meager to most, but it seems outrageous to me. A dear friend of the family's mother used to own a yarn shop. Mother isn't much into needlework anymore, so they gave me all her things... including her stash. I couldn't justify going out and spending $25 on yarn when I had so much at home to work with. (It would be particularly hard justifying the expense to my husband). So I also broke away from Kawa's pattern by using a seven color palette of different yarns, rather than one variegated yarn. The first bag I made was monochromatic, in a rose/red-violet colorway. That one took me the longest because, although I'd drawn my pattern, I had to make adjustments along the way and do a lot of ripping out and re-working. It was actually pretty arduous, so I totally respect Kawa's skill considering all the lovely projects she's designed. But the final product definitely pleased me.
Although I hadn't done it at the time of the picture, I purchased a faux silk fabric in a bright rose color and used that to line the inside of the bag. It offset the yarn work quite nicely, I think. 




Having eight children in the extended family to consider gifting for Christmas, we needed to stay as low-budget as possible. The bag ended up being what I decided to make as Christmas gifts for nieces, since 'homemade' and 'free' were perfect for us. In order to have each niece feel like her bag was unique (and to eliminate even more of my stash), I decided to do a second bag in a jeweled color way, focusing on blues, greens and purples.
For that bag's lining, I chose a vibrant violet color in the same faux silk fabric.
Since it was winter break, my Bugaboo noticed I was busily crafting away and asked me repeatedly if either of those bags was going to be for her. When she discovered they weren't, she then asked me if I was going to make HER a bag (with those big, brown slightly-disappointed-looking puppy dog eyes). 

Armed with my JoAnn's Fabric holiday coupons, I ran out to the store and bought three skeins of a comparable variegated yarn on December 23rd and began to feverishly make my third bag. I finished it Christmas afternoon {whew} and presented it to her that evening, complete with more of that silk lining (which I actually had the presence of mind to photograph this time):
For more details about the yarn, pattern or needles I used for this bag, you can search for me on Ravelry (see link above) and do a search for Sows Ear Silk Purse. Okay, folks, that's my novelette for the day. Now I'm off to organize!

No comments:

Post a Comment