The Ribbon Board

Today I began work on a ribbon board: one of those lovely padded concoctions typically of fabric, ribbons and tacks to hold pictures or notes...

Most DIYers recycle an old bulletin board or corkboard. I didn't have anything like that around, so I opted to use some Homasote I had stored for just such an occasion. I first learned of the stuff during my days in Architecture school: wonderfully thick, great for acoustical applications, but most commonly seen as foundations for the iconic bulletin boards of the 70's. (Did I just date myself?...)

Moving on. Since I'm making this for a friend, I wanted to customize as much as possible. Which, it would turn out, was necessary given the unusual colorway of her bedding. Instead of using the old standby of furniture tacks, I decided to do covered buttons, which helped bring in that beautiful but peskily difficult to find orange-red she was eager to use as an accent.

I got a lot done today, though I still do have a bit left to accomplish. I'm sharing my progress thus far...and pleased, so far, with how it's coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment