Refurbished Lamp - After

It's phenomenal what elbow grease, steel wool and patience can accomplish! I'd always had it in my mind to re-finish the base with a colored lacquer, and Apple Green is a cheerful color that I've long enjoyed, so there you have it. The lampshade was a completely different issue. The interior mounting system proved to be incompatible with any and all replacement lamp shades I could find at local decor shops. As time began to pass, I finally decided it was time for me to try my hand at lampshade making.

I'd read a great article from an old Martha Stewart magazine my mother-in-law still had laying around. It went into detail as to cut, mount and decorate your own shade. I combined that acquired knowledge with some other things I'd learned online or by living vicariously through our local PBS station. What resulted was a shade made of off-white linen with a clumsy attempt on my part at crewel work and pretty frosted bead trim. I believe the playfulness of the resultant shade only enhances the unexpected color of the lacquered base. By far, one of my most favorite pieces in my living room!


No comments:

Post a Comment