My Own Little Thanksgiving Tradition

It was about ten years ago, while having Thanksgiving at my Aunt and Uncle's, that I was first inspired to attempt my hand at homemade cranberry sauce. I'd been raised eating the tidy round slices of canned cranberry sauce. And I was highly suspect of the canned version, if only because it was too similar in shape and color for me to be sure if I was getting a tart sweet treat... or a mouth full of beets. I'd never given making it myself a second thought. Fast forward to the morning of that fateful day when my cousin started cooking up a batch on the stove.

It was quick and simple. She didn't embellish it much, but embellish it she did. And it was delicious. It was more than delicious, it was heavenly. I kept that experience in the back of my mind, disappointed at subsequent gatherings when my cousin (and her, in my mind, famous cranberry sauce) was absent from the festivities due to the separation of an entire continent. Don't worry, cuz. I missed you, too.

My first Thanksgiving as a married young lady, I decided I needed to try my hand at making the sauce myself. My cousin's directives were simple and, for the most part, were reiterated on the back of the bag of cranberries I'd picked up from the market. The final result was great, but I could imagine more!

Since then, I have dabbled here and dabbled there, tweaking the recipe each year despite resounding exclamations of enjoyment from the masses. And this year I've had several friends fire messages my way, asking if I'd be willing to share my recipe. My homemade cranberry sauce has become my own little statement in the tradition that is Thanksgiving. I love filling the house with its fragrance, and it has become the herald of the start of the holidays in my home.  

So, I thought, in THANKS for all of you who are friends, family and followers, I am GIVING you my recipe. May you enjoy it and/or build upon it for years to come. Happy holidays to you all.  

CRANBERRY SAUCE - MY WAY
1 bag cranberries
1 navel orange, peeled and chopped
1 c sugar
1/4 c orange juice
3/4 c wine (I have used port, rose, zinfandel and riesling all with success)
dash each of ground cloves, cinnamon and allspice

Dump everything in a medium size sauce pan and place on medium-high heat. Stir it periodically to prevent sugar from scalding, cooking to a boil and/or until the berries pop.

Prepare the day before and chill for a good 8 hours. This will help the sauce thicken and let the flavors blend well.


This year, I decided to bolden things: I added the zest of one whole orange. I also augmented the liquids: 1/2 c fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/4 c water and 1/4 c brandy, accented with 1 t lime juice.  MMMmmmmm. 

So, the rule of thumb is to keep the liquid quantity to 1 c, but play around with flavors. With wines, use 1/2-3/4 c and the rest can be water, juice, whatever. If you use a stronger alcohol, take it down to 1/4 c so the resulting flavor isn't too harsh.

Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment